The “Buy Online Pickup In Store” offering has become a popular addition to most retailer’s omni-channel strategy over the last few years. Flexible fulfillment programs that integrate all three sales channels – online, in-store and mobile apps – can reduce shipping costs for customers and increase overall sales by drawing more shoppers into the store. BOPIS improves customer satisfaction and allows traditional brick-and-mortar retailers to more effectively compete with major online stores.
In an age of Amazon Now/Echo, Alibaba, Mobile Payments and other disruptive retail technologies, customers are demanding and expecting more from brick-and-mortar retailers. Retailers must acknowledge these expectations or risk losing out to the competition. Today’s savvy and busy shoppers want to save two things: time and money. BOPIS as part of a bigger omni-channel strategy can deliver on both.
Strategic advantage of well implementing BOPIS include:
- More unplanned purchases when shoppers visit the store (40% vs only 25%).
- Faster delivery.
- Connecting customer data from online to offline for insights down the road.
- Larger basket sizes.
- Higher conversion rates.
- Sometimes it’s more convenient than waiting for the item to be delivered.
- Save on shipping costs.
- Shorter overall time to receipt of an order compared to ordering online.
- Price matching now ensures the most competitive price.